What Is Stress And What Are The Different Signs Of Stress?
We all know how it feels when we are have any signs of stress and how restless we become when we feel pressured. But well, it is simply not easy to put up exactly the definition of stress perfectly. We often say things like “I am stressed” or “this is stressful,” but do you know what we are talking about? Well, it might be either of the following:
- Any event or situation that makes us feel pressured. For example, times during which we tend to think a lot and feel like we have a lot to do, or even when we feel that we have no control over the things that are happening around us.
- Our reaction when we feel under pressure- the feelings that we experience when we feel we would not be able to cope with the demands given to us.
It is so overwhelming that sometimes we are not able to see what is beyond that thick stress fog.
Well, there isn’t any particular definition of stress in medicine. Several healthcare professionals disagree with the idea of stress, which is the cause of a problem or the result of them. Often, it makes it difficult for us to understand what causes us stress or how we can deal with them. However, whatever you think stress is all about, it is much easier for you to manage stress in a better way when you do the following things:
- Manage external pressures. When you manage the external pressures well, stressful situations do not occur to you that often
- Develop emotional resilience. When you develop your emotional resilience, you are much better at coping with any tough situation, and you do not feel stressed at all.
What Are The Signs Of Stress?
Different people experience stress differently in different situations. Sometimes it would be possible for you to tell when you are under pressure or feel stressed, but there would be times when you might not be able to recognize the signs of stress. Stress can take a toll on both your mental as well as physical health and can have an impact on how you behave.
How You Might Feel When You Experience Stress: Signs Of Stress
- Aggressive, irritable, wound up or impatient
- Feel over-burdened
- Nervous, anxious or afraid
- Feel like your thoughts on a race and it is impossible for you to switch them off
- Do not enjoy yourself and your company
- Not interested in life
- Feel like you have completely lost your sense of humor
- Feel a sense of dreadfulness
- Constantly worry about your health
- Feel lonely or neglected
Under severe stress conditions, the person might even have suicidal thoughts and feelings.
How You Might Tend To Behave: Signs Of Stress
- Find it hard to make decisions
- Keep worrying constantly
- Avoid situations that seem to trouble you
- Snap at people
- Bite your nails
- Pick at your skin
- Find it difficult to concentrate
- Eat too much or too little
- Smoke or drink alcohol much more than usual
- Become restless and find it difficult to sit at one place
- Crying or being tearful
How You Get Physically Affected
- Hyperventilate or undergo shallow breathing
- Might have panic attacks
- Tension in your muscles
- Sore eyes or blurred vision
- Face problems going to sleep, getting sleep or have nightmares
- Sexual problems like not enjoying sex or losing interest in it
- Feel tired all the time
- Clench your jaw your grind your teeth
- High blood pressure
- Frequent headaches
- Chest pains
- Heartburn or indigestion
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Feel like fainting, sick or dizzy
Stress isn’t a kind of illness but it can definitely cause one if it is not addressed properly. You must recognize these signs as early as possible and it will help you to figure out ways in which you can cope with it.